Thursday, July 15, 2004

Presidential campaign update

My two readers may recall my attempt to gatecrash the EU as its new President of the Commission last week (as opposed to torching it,as certain perma-tanned members of UKIP would suggest).

I received a letter from the General Secretariat of the EU last night. But unfortunately I can't seem to post it up on the blog. Instead, you'll have to trust me when I tell you what it said:

Brussels, 8 July 2004

Re: Your letter of 28 June 2004 "Vacancy for President of the European Commission"

Dear Sir,

We have received your letter of 28 June 2004.

For your information, as foreseen in the Treaty provisions with regard to the nomination of the new President of the European Commission, the President of the European Commission is chosen by the European Council (the European Council is a meeting of the heads of state or government of the European Union, and the President of the European Commission), a choice which must be approved by the European Parliament (the parliamentary body of the European Union directly elected by the people and has legislative power.

On Tuesday 29 June 2004, the European Council nominated Portuguese Prime Minister Jose Manuel Durao Barroso as new President of the European Commission.

If the Parliament approves his nomination at its July sitting, Mr Durao Barroso will commence his five-year term as President of the European Commission from the 1st November 2004 to the 31st October 2009.

Thank you for your interest in the work of the European Union.

Yours faithfully,

Information to the public unit


There then follows pages of press releases and the relevant Treaty articles relating to the selection procedure.

I will admit to feeling a bit gutted. Quite apart from the £600,000 salary, I rather looked forward to helping improve the lives of Europe's people. But look, there's still hope: if I can persuade enough MEPs to not support the Portuguese PM and canvass each of the 25 heads of government to turn it my way... I reckon 13 governments could swing it. I wonder if I can persuade the Italians on account of my granny living there, the Czechs because I drink their beer, the Germans because the English should be allowed to sin something finally and the Poles because my cousin's new wife comes from there. Well, it's a start, isn't it?

No comments: