Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Stratford train station... Again

Outside Stratford train station yesterday evening with our London MEP, Sarah Ludford. Same purpose as we did with Simon Hughes the other week - introduce him to local people on their way home from work, on in last night's case, on their way to the West Ham-Ipswich game. At least we had an angle for those coming from East Anglia: there are European elections going on their too, so Sarah was able to get the message across to them.

The experience was slightly marred by a drunk in an Arsenal shirt heckling us and only offering slogans. "Don't vote," he shouted and "Burn it," when someone took one of our leaflets.

I tried to reason with him. "You don't like the present lot?" I asked.

"You're all the same," he retorted.

"Will you vote?" I tried.

"No, it's a waste of time. You're all the same."

"Then you can hardly complain if you don't vote and then things are done which you disapprove of."

He wandered off soon after. I'd like to think I forced him to reconsider his views. But I suspect the alcohol had finally done for him.

But at least I managed to engage with one or two people during the few hours we spent. One man seemed very keen to see the present lot out, while another, a Canadian teacher in Tower Hamlets, was interested in our recycling policies.

No comments: