Tuesday, May 18, 2004

Speaking with the enemy

I had a phone call last night.

"Hello, I'm calling on behalf of your local Labour party. Do you mind if I ask you a few questions?"

I had half a mind to say no and tell her who I was. But then I thought I'd see what she was going to say.

"Who will you vote for?"

"Liberal Democrat."

"Will you vote Simon Hughes for mayor?"

"Yes."

"What about for European Parliament?"

"Liberal Democrat?"

"And London Assembly?"

"Liberal Democrat."

"What about your second preference?"

"Liberal Democrat."

"Do you always vote?"

"Yes."

"Thank you."

"Just one more thing before you go," I said. "Thank you for canvassing me - I'm your local Liberal Democrat Assembly candidate."

"Ah."

I can imagine how she felt. I remember trying to canvass one of John Major's Cabinet Ministers, Douglas Hogg, during the 1997 election in Southwark. "But I can't vote," he said. "What about your wife and daughter?" I asked. "No, they can't either."

"Well, if you'd like, we can try and get them on the electoral register next time."

"No, I don't think so. Thanks for offering though. But I think they'll probably want to vote for me up north."

Only then did I look at the name on my board - and the penny dropped.

No comments: