Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Acting as postman

Last night I thought I was about to have a quiet night in - a rarity in the month before election day.

But no. Just as I was planning on making a visit to Selfridges to check out the Brazil exhibition (I haven't been yet and it's coming to an end this weekend), my campaign organiser in Newham phoned up. Could I help ferry our recently printed campaign newspaper from Bow to Stratford and Barking?

Nearly 50,000 had arrived at one of our councillors' home in the morning. A huge pile was waiting for us when we arrived. We loaded up my little Nissan Micra (which doesn't get much of a runaround) and saw the weight it was putting on the rear wheels and tyres.

A necessarily slow journey through the East End subsequently ensued.

Still, at least the relevant contacts have them and they can all start going out from today. But while some of my colleagues will be out delivering tomorrow evening, I will be at the Stop the War hustings in Tower Hamlets (Oxford House, Derbyshire Street), from 6.30pm. Might be fun.

No comments: