Monday, September 05, 2005

Fed up

I'm convinced that West London is like the Bermuda Triangle. At least it was yesterday. Both Barons Court and West Kensington tube stations were closed for repair work on the District and Piccadilly Lines. I was directed to one of the replacement buses which didn't move anywhere, being caught behind a parade and carnival nearby.

Getting off I set off on foot to West Brompton train station to catch a train to Victoria - only to discover there wasn't any direct ones. Alright, I thought, I'll wait for the next one to Clapham Junction which the tannoy announced was just around the corner. But that train never appeared and soon the announcer was reporting that the next train would be heading north.

Once again I set off on foot, trying to walk out of Chelsea and eventually catching a bus that headed past Hyde Park. But it was ultimately quicker to walk the remaining half mile to Victoria than continue to sit on the bus. Sunday was not only hot, but everyone had taken to their cars.

And did I mention that Westminster was closed for the bicycle race through London? Who decides when to close the tube - especially on a day as busy as yesterday.

At least after this marathon journey I was able to pick up my new secondhand bike. And finally I was able to escape the vagaries of London's public transport system.

No comments: